Fernando Alonso slams Alpine for age bias and shares why he is a ‘little annoyed’

F1 news

FERNANDO ALONSO will leave Alpine at the end of the season before switching to Aston Martin.

Fernando Alonso is a ‘winning’ driver says Lewis Hamilton

SUBSCRIBE Invalid email

We use your sign-up to provide content in ways you’ve consented to and to improve our understanding of you. This may include adverts from us and 3rd parties based on our understanding. You can unsubscribe at any time. More info

Fernando Alonso has slammed Alpine for looking at his age over his ability which eventually saw him ditch the French manufacturer for Aston Martin. The double world champion announced his move away from the Enstone team during the summer break, days after Sebastian Vettel confirmed his retirement.

Alonso’s decision sparked an explosion in the driver market with Oscar Piastri promoted to Alpine’s driver line-up soon after. However, Piastri soon snubbed the team after it emerged talks had begun with McLaren over replacing Daniel Ricciardo.

Ahead of the Belgian Grand Prix, Alonso hit back at the team for needing to “re-evaluate his services” due to his age. The Spaniard was also asked whether he felt like he was only holding an Alpine drive before they decided to promote Piastri.

Speaking to Sky Sports F1, he responded: “It was for sure. I’m trying to perform at my best and every weekend I try to give my best on track. We had an incredible journey these two years with the team and we were up a lot.

READ MORE: Alonso promise may have helped Aston Martin snatch Alpine star – Hill

Fernando Alonso slams Alpine for age bias and shares why he is a 'little annoyed'

Fernando Alonso will switch to Aston Martin next season (Image: Getty)

“It seems I have to be re-evaluated every year because my passport says whatever date of birth. It was a little bit strange to me. Other teams, they think differently, they trust in my abilities and I’m happy with that.”

Alonso added that he had become sad and annoyed after reading conspiracy theories about his switch to Aston Martin. It comes after theories that Alonso had worked with Piastri’s manager Mark Webber and Flavio Briatore on a switch.

Alonso commented: “I read that in the first days and honestly it was quite sad and annoying to read that conspiracy.

DON’T MISS
Damon Hill predicts when Fernando Alonso will retire from F1 [INSIGHT]
Alonso in poorly-timed post as Piastri causes chaos with Alpine [ANALYSIS]
Fernando Alonso could be Aston Martin ‘problem’ after replacing Vettel [COMMENT]

Fernando Alonso slams Alpine for age bias and shares why he is a 'little annoyed'

Oscar Piastri has also snubbed an Alpine drive for next season (Image: Getty)

“I made this decision, I explained why, because from some months that I had been chatting with the team about extending the contract but nothing happened and Aston called me after Sebastian retired. They were very clear and easy decisions from my side. What happened after and what is happening with Oscar is completely not my thing.”

When pushed in the press conference to explain how the Aston Martin deal came about, the former Ferrari and McLaren driver admitted talks over a move had begun over the Hungarian Grand Prix weekend.

Alonso said: “We started talking on that weekend briefly about the conditions I was expecting, about what they were expecting from me as well. We met quite quickly on our expectations and fulfilled all our wishes and on Monday morning we signed and we decided to announce quite quickly before any leaks.”

Source

saltos
Rate author
F1 News
Add a comment